As Christmas is slowly sneaking up, it’s time to start thinking about your holiday menu. Or maybe you need some ideas for when you will be entertaining guests? Maple creme brûlée is a perfect example of a French-Canadian inspired dessert for the holiday season. It’s simple, creamy, delicious — and a little more impressive than the typical sugar cookie.
- 2 cups heavy cream ( or whipping cream )
- 1/2 cup Canadian Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp maple sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp Demerara sugar ( for topping )
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, scald the cream until small bubbles start to form. Then remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, vanilla extract, maple sugar and maple syrup. Blend well.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture into the hot cream and stir until smooth and of a uniform colour.
- Fill your baking dish or individual ramekins with the custard mixture, but only halfway.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Once done, leave the custards to cool for about 40 minutes or refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat the broiler, or prepare your brûlée torch.
- Place the custard dish on a baking sheet and evenly sprinkle the Demerara sugar on top of the custard.
- Once sugar is even this means caramelization will be equal and ensure a crunchy top layer all around.
- Broil /torch until light brown.
Hope you will enjoy cracking into this delicious treat. Let us know in the comments.