Spring is on its way (supposedly) and nothing says it’s time to spend time in the outdoors like a bowl of fresh greens. Unfortunately, the rainy weather is keeping everyone from eating cold foods and during these weird rain/snow storms, sometimes it’s necessary to have a delicious warm meal instead of a chill-inducing salad. Luckily, there is a solution: warm salads! This mouth-watering mealtime option brings together fresh vegetables and fruits with a heart-warming grain option. It is the perfect thing to eat as the seasons change. Feel free to play around with this recipe and add your own preferences.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup diced strawberries (optional)
- 3/4 cup fresh peas
- 1 bunch of spinach
- 1 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt & lots of pepper, to taste
- Cook the quinoa (1/2:1 ratio with boiling water) and allow to cool slightly while prepping the rest of the salad.
- Combine strawberries, peas, spinach, and parsley in a bowl and toss.
- Mix olive oil, garlic cloves, lemon juice, maple syrup, sea salt and pepper in a separate bowl to make the dressing. Taste and spice until satisfied.
- Add to the plant mix to the warm quinoa and add dressing.
- Enjoy while warm!
A warm salad will make you feel cozy while at the same time completely refreshed. It is easy to make and will fulfill your nutrient requirements, especially with a protein packed quinoa. Enjoy while the weather is rainy and cold!
Pairs wonderfully with a light beer or glass of white wine!