Are you tired of only having sweet vegan baked goods?
Chef Katherine Kooks is breaking new ground in the vegan cookie market by choosing to create a savoury baked good instead of a sweet cookie. Using several healthy ingredients, her savoury vegan cookie is a protein power punch that has distinct garlic and onion flavours, but maintains the chewy texture of a cookie. It is unlike any baked good I have found in a vegan bakery.
Savoury Onion Garlic Cookies
1 cup oats
1 cup quinoa flakes
¼ cup chia seeds
¼ cup flax seeds
¼ cup hemp seeds
1 small Spanish onion
2 cloves of garlic
1/3 bunch thyme
Pinch of sea salt
- Soak the chia and flax seeds in ½ cup of water for 20 minutes until a paste is formed.
- Combine dry ingredients and flax/chia seed combination. Mix well and let stand for five minutes.
- Saute garlic and onion and remove from heat.
- Roll out dough with a pin and use a cookie cutter to make uniform cookie shapes.
- Place in the dehydrator at 145 degrees for one hour.
- Unplug and flip the cookies. Reduce temperature to 115 degrees and let run for 10 to 12 hours.
Katherine Kooks has started selling her cookies at markets in Toronto, and following her on Instagram will give you a heads up on where this ingenious gluten-free and soy-free snack is headed next!